Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Old KCRW tapes

I've put some online here. Yeah, cassettes still work and I still love them. A while back they went around taking them out of the studios here at Metro and I snagged a double dubber and it's still sitting in my trunk. I've got a ton of cassettes that I've been dubbing to mp3 but many more still to do. And it makes me nervous because with the cassettes, at least there's a solid actual object I can hold in my hand. When it's all been coded into 1's and 0's and exists in the ether, I get nervous. Where's my music? CD's piss me off too, because they were supposed to be so much better than records, and the fact of the matter is they have to be handled just as carefully and they scratch all to hell if you're sloppy like me and tend to leave things in a pile after rooting through them for the right tune. But we had to have them, right. Even though it shrunk art and the whole satisfying experience of owning a nice large piece of vinyl, down to something that is, once again, shrinkwrapped. You should come out sometime and visit Ameoba with me. It's walking distance from my house and is pretty bitchen for vinyl. At least there's some appreciation of vinyl now that the shiny newness of cd's has tarnished somewhat with all the skippy players out there. Even the sound of vinyl is not so bad---I dunno. I'm a luddite who's given up my cell phone and I have never sent a text message in my life. So what do I know?

Anyway, I'm glad to have a place to complain, because it's one of my favorite things to do, and the fact that no one is complaining and screaming to high heaven about the lack of good music on the radio is something I find depressing as hell. Plus, you complain with such elegance. The music of people who understand what each other are bitching about is music to my mind's ear, anyway.

I'll go check out some of KERA's overnight stuff. Now are you talking about the new station that's started up? Or has it not gotten off the ground yet? The one you told me about on email some time ago?

No comments: